As many of you know, I lost my job last week. "It is nothing I did wrong." Barkley has just decided to make a few adjustments and I am one of the near 20 casualties. I have been very hard at work since Tuesday getting my resume, website and portfolio together. I just finished mounting my portfolio on boards today and I am very happy with the work I have produced. I feel my work is comparative to other designers looking for jobs and hope it will shine above the rest. Keep you fingers crossed.
Last week was quite a blow. Being laid off was the last thing I expected when I was asked to come to a meeting room. After I received the news I left the office and went straight home. I decided after talking to Catie that I was not going to sit around and moan about my situation. So I made a call to a friend of mine at Hallmark and he hooked me up with his contacts in their HR department. I went and had lunch with him on Wednesday and had an informal, mini interview with another art director. (I was not expecting the interview, but I think it went well.) I went home and finished my resume and sent it out to about 9 other companies. That same day I designed and built a portfolio website and got it up and running online. Thursday and Friday I prepared all my files to print for my portfolio. Saturday was spent printing and Sunday was spent mounting those prints on boards. So I am officially ready to begin the interview process.
A big thank you to those who have shared kind words of encouragement over the past week. I appreciate the friendships I have made over the past few years and I value each and every one of them. The recurring theme of most conversations has been "In the long run this whole ordeal will be for the best." I know it will be and I trust everything will work out in the end. Again, Thank you all for your support and well wishes.
Catie has been my biggest supporter throughout this whole ordeal and I think I am very lucky to have her as my wife. She has helped fine tune my wording on my cover letter and resume. She has done a lot of the leg work looking for jobs online while I worked on my resume and portfolio pieces. In case you didn't know, she is awesome.
5 comments:
Robert Wayne Knight -
You are ANYTHING but obsolete. I heard this news from your mother-in-law over the weekend and at first I too was angry. It did not take me long however to realize that this "corporate" decision would be the catalyst that would change you and your amazing wife's life. There is a job out there for you. Barkley Evergreen has provided you with experience, confidence in your talent and the means to create an awesome portfolio. You have a network out there, and through those connections there will be a new adventure coming your way. I just know this to be true.
I love you Robbie (and your little wife too). Just remember the best is yet to be!!
Aunt Linda
By the way, I do know your middle name, Robbie, it is GLENN and not Wayne. Where in the world did that come from ya think?
Aunt L
the portfolio looks fab!
Hi Robbie,
Just wanted to let you know that I called Heritage to see if they had a copy of the 2004 Calendar but they didn't. Is there anything else at Heritage that you might have worked on that I can get a sample of for you?
Hang in there, better days are comming.
Julie
I liked Red Alert. Hope all is well.
MH-ES
Post a Comment